SANTOSTILO CONGO, M23 REBELS TO SIGN DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES TO END FIGHTING

CONGO, M23 REBELS TO SIGN DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES TO END FIGHTING

In a significant development aimed at ending years of conflict in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the Congolese government and the M23 rebel group have agreed to sign a “Declaration of Principles”—a framework intended to pave the way toward a lasting peace deal. The announcement comes after months of regional mediation and international pressure, amid one of Africa’s most persistent and deadly conflicts.

The declaration, which is expected to be signed in the coming days during talks hosted in Luanda, Angola, is being brokered by the East African Community (EAC) and supported by the African Union (AU) and United Nations (UN). It outlines a series of mutual commitments: cessation of hostilities, disarmament, reintegration of rebel fighters, respect for national sovereignty, and the protection of civilians.

The March 23 Movement, known as M23, is a Tutsi-led rebel group that re-emerged in 2021 after nearly a decade of dormancy. Since then, it has seized control of large areas in North Kivu province, forcing over a million people to flee their homes. The conflict has displaced communities, collapsed local governance, and severely impacted humanitarian efforts in the region.

According to mediators, the Declaration of Principles does not constitute a full peace treaty, but rather a formal acknowledgment of both sides’ willingness to negotiate further. “This is a critical first step toward de-escalation and trust-building,” said Angolan President João Lourenço, who is playing a key role in the process. He stressed the importance of both parties honoring the terms of the declaration in good faith.

The agreement comes after increasing military pressure and diplomatic isolation of the M23 group. The Congolese army, backed by regional forces from Kenya, Burundi, and South Sudan, has launched coordinated offensives against rebel positions in recent months. At the same time, Rwanda—long accused of backing the M23 rebels—has faced mounting international criticism, though it denies involvement.

Key components of the declaration reportedly include:

  • An immediate and verifiable ceasefire

  • Withdrawal of M23 fighters from occupied towns

  • Reintegration pathways for former rebels into the Congolese national army or civilian life

  • Commitment to protect human rights and facilitate the return of displaced civilians

  • A regional monitoring mechanism to ensure compliance

For the people of eastern Congo, the agreement offers a glimmer of hope after years of violence. However, experts warn that without sustained engagement, political will, and economic investment, the conflict could reignite. “Declarations have been signed before,” said a UN analyst, “but follow-through has always been the challenge.”

The international community has welcomed the announcement. The United Nations Mission in Congo (MONUSCO), which has operated in the region for over two decades, urged both parties to “seize this opportunity to end the cycle of violence.” Humanitarian agencies are also preparing for possible access to previously unreachable areas where aid is urgently needed.

While fragile and early, the signing of the Declaration of Principles could mark a turning point in the DRC’s long-running conflict. The next steps—implementation, monitoring, and inclusive dialogue—will be crucial in determining whether peace can truly take hold in the region.

Leave a Comment