SANTOSTILO MORE THAN 70 KILLED WHILE TRYING TO ACCESS AID IN GAZA

MORE THAN 70 KILLED WHILE TRYING TO ACCESS AID IN GAZA

A humanitarian tragedy unfolded in Gaza on Monday as more than 70 Palestinians were killed and scores injured while attempting to access desperately needed aid in the northern part of the territory. The incident, which took place near an aid distribution point on the outskirts of Gaza City, has drawn widespread international condemnation and raised fresh concerns about the safety of civilians amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas.

According to the Gaza Health Ministry, the victims were among hundreds of people who had gathered in hopes of receiving flour, food, and water from a convoy escorted by Israeli forces. Eyewitnesses and local journalists reported that the crowd surged toward the trucks as they approached, leading to panic and chaos. Moments later, gunfire rang out, and multiple explosions were heard.

Medical sources confirmed that over 70 people were killed, many from gunshot wounds and others from being trampled or crushed in the stampede. More than 200 others were wounded. Gruesome footage shared on social media showed bodies lying on the ground and civilians frantically loading the wounded onto carts and makeshift stretchers.

The Israeli military acknowledged that troops had been present to secure the area and oversee the aid distribution. However, the IDF claimed that some in the crowd had turned violent, leading to a “chaotic situation” that included looting and possible threats to Israeli soldiers. In a statement, the military said, “We are reviewing the incident to determine the sequence of events and whether IDF fire contributed to the casualties.”

Palestinian officials have accused Israel of deliberately targeting civilians and using lethal force against unarmed people simply seeking food and aid. Hamas condemned the event as a “massacre” and called for international intervention to stop what it describes as systematic attacks on civilians.

The United Nations and humanitarian agencies reacted with shock and sorrow. Philippe Lazzarini, head of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), called the deaths “unacceptable” and warned that Gaza is on the brink of total humanitarian collapse. “This incident is a direct consequence of the extreme scarcity of aid and the collapse of civil order in Gaza,” he said. “People are starving, desperate, and vulnerable.”

The tragedy comes amid a severe humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where over 2 million people are facing famine-like conditions due to months of blockade, displacement, and relentless military bombardment. International aid agencies say that access to Gaza remains highly restricted, and convoys are often delayed or blocked altogether due to security concerns and bureaucratic hurdles.

Since Israel began its military campaign following the Hamas-led attacks on October 7, more than 36,000 Palestinians have been killed, according to Gaza health officials. The overwhelming majority are civilians, including thousands of children.

Monday’s incident has reignited calls for a ceasefire and urgent international action. World leaders, including UN Secretary-General António Guterres and leaders from the European Union, have demanded an independent investigation and the establishment of secure humanitarian corridors.

As the dust settles and mourning begins, this latest tragedy underscores the desperate plight of civilians in Gaza and the urgent need for sustained humanitarian relief and an end to hostilities.

Leave a Comment