SANTOSTILO AT LEAST 37 DEAD AFTER TOURIST BOAT CAPSIZES IN HA LONG BAY

AT LEAST 37 DEAD AFTER TOURIST BOAT CAPSIZES IN HA LONG BAY

Tragedy struck Vietnam’s popular Ha Long Bay on Saturday as a tourist boat capsized during a violent thunderstorm, killing at least 37 people and leaving several others missing. The incident has been described as one of the worst maritime disasters in the country in recent years.

The vessel, identified as the Vinh Xanh 58, was carrying 52 people, including tourists, local passengers, and crew members, on a routine sightseeing tour when it was caught in sudden and severe weather. The storm, which brought heavy rain, strong winds, and hail, struck the bay in the early afternoon, capsizing the boat in just moments, according to eyewitness accounts.

Officials from Quang Ninh province, where Ha Long Bay is located, confirmed that 37 bodies had been recovered from the water as of Sunday morning. Rescue operations are ongoing, with divers and emergency response teams searching for several others who are still missing. Survivors described scenes of chaos and panic as passengers tried desperately to escape the sinking vessel.

“I saw the sky darken suddenly, and within minutes the waves hit us hard. People were screaming, and then the boat flipped,” said Nguyen Van Hoa, one of the survivors who managed to swim to shore. “Many didn’t have time to put on life jackets.”

Authorities said the boat had received clearance to operate that day and was not overloaded. However, questions are being raised about the weather warnings issued prior to departure and the preparedness of the crew. Initial reports suggest the captain attempted to return to shore when the storm intensified, but the vessel capsized before it could make it back.

Vietnam’s Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh issued a statement expressing condolences to the families of the victims and ordered an immediate investigation. “This is a devastating loss,” he said. “We must urgently review safety procedures to prevent such tragedies in the future.”

Local officials have suspended all tourist boat operations in Ha Long Bay pending further inspection. A crisis center has been established in Quang Ninh to coordinate rescue efforts and support the victims’ families. The government has promised financial compensation and medical support to those affected.

The incident has sparked national mourning and raised concerns about maritime safety, particularly in popular tourist destinations like Ha Long Bay, which attracts millions of visitors annually. Experts have warned that climate change and extreme weather are making such disasters more likely and that more robust monitoring and emergency protocols are urgently needed.

Several foreign embassies have confirmed that their nationals were on board and are working closely with Vietnamese authorities to identify the victims and assist their families.

As the nation mourns the loss of life, flags have been ordered to fly at half-mast, and memorials are being planned across the country. The focus now remains on the ongoing search for survivors and the urgent need for reform in Vietnam’s maritime tourism industry to ensure such a catastrophe is never repeated.

Leave a Comment