SEVERAL INJURED AS ISRAELI WARPLANES STRIKE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN GAZA CITY
A controversial Israeli airstrike has struck the Holy Family Catholic Church in Gaza City, leaving several civilians injured and drawing strong international condemnation. The church, the only Catholic place of worship in Gaza, had been serving as a sanctuary for hundreds of displaced families amid ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas.
According to eyewitnesses and church authorities, the strike occurred late Wednesday night, damaging parts of the church compound. Reports suggest that at least three people were killed and several others wounded, including elderly individuals and members of the clergy. The victims were reportedly sheltering inside the church when the building was struck by what appeared to be a missile or artillery shell.
The Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, which oversees the church, condemned the incident, stating that the church was not being used for any military purposes and housed only civilians, including women, children, and the elderly. “This is a violation of international law and a tragic assault on a place of peace and refuge,” the Patriarchate said in a statement.
Among the injured was Father Gabriel Romanelli, the parish priest, who had been in regular contact with the Vatican. He sustained minor injuries but remained with the parishioners following the attack. The Vatican responded with a strong message of solidarity, with Pope Leo XIV expressing “deep sorrow” and calling for the immediate protection of all civilians and sacred sites in conflict zones.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) acknowledged the incident and said an investigation was underway to determine the exact circumstances of the strike. An IDF spokesperson said, “We are aware of reports of damage to a religious site in Gaza City. We are looking into the matter with the utmost seriousness.”
The IDF added that while they aim to target Hamas infrastructure, civilian casualties remain an unfortunate consequence in dense urban combat zones like Gaza. Israeli officials expressed “deep regret” over the incident but reiterated accusations that Hamas uses civilian buildings, including religious institutions, for military purposes—a claim denied by church officials and local eyewitnesses.
The United Nations and numerous human rights organizations have condemned the strike, urging all parties to respect the sanctity of religious sites and comply with international humanitarian law. Human Rights Watch called for an independent investigation and warned that repeated strikes on civilian infrastructure could amount to war crimes.
International leaders, including those from France, Italy, and Spain, have demanded accountability and called for an immediate ceasefire to prevent further civilian harm. U.S. President Donald Trump reportedly called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, urging restraint and a transparent investigation into the church attack.
As the conflict intensifies, the humanitarian situation in Gaza continues to deteriorate, with thousands of civilians seeking shelter in schools, hospitals, and religious institutions. The strike on the Holy Family Church underscores the growing vulnerability of these so-called “safe zones” and highlights the urgent need for de-escalation and diplomatic resolution.